Monday, August 02, 2010

Weird question, why when I set the keyboard to Canada (where I live) and the language to Canadian(English) in Ubuntu do I get a French keyboard layout? Let me be very clear that the majority language in Canada is English, which is the first language for slightly more then 2/3rds of Canadians. I mean I appreciate that the Ubuntu guys have put in a bunch of work to set up a keyboard layout for my French Canadian country men, but Canada is a bilingual country with a large French speaking minority and an English speaking majority. It would be a lot more sensible to make the default keyboard layout for Canada English and add a Canada(French) layout to support the French speaking minority. At the very least when you're going through the install and pick Canada for your keyboard layout it would be nice if it informed people that the Canada keyboard layout is in fact French and if you choose it you won't be able to find the question mark. Anyone know why they do it the way they do? Well enough ranting for now. 2 interviews tomorrow so off to bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Tee hee,
Obviously you haven't come across
"America/Toronto" in the time and date settings. Not "North America", not "Americas"...just "America". Lol, It's the same for Mexico City and Santiago too :) I think these instances are just plain old fashioned oversights.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home